Your dog may be sneezy and coughy with an allergic reaction and make you desperate to give your pet relief from its dog allergies. Allergic reactions can often warrant medications from the vet, an those could include steroids. But, if you’re looking for natural, holistic ways to help dog allergies, we’ve got a few for you!
Common symptoms of pet allergies
A pet allergy is common these days, and a dog’s allergy symptoms can vary based on whether they have a food allergy or seasonal allergies. Sometimes, it makes no difference, and a severe allergic reaction can happen due to either or both. If it’s allergy season and your furry friend has itchy skin, ear problems, or some of the following, you may want to look into treatments to help bring them some relief.
Symptoms of pet allergies in dogs include:
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Ear Infection
- Gastrointestinal Issues / Leaky Gut
- Red eyes
- Itchy eyes
- Watery eyes
- Skin rash or poor skin health or skin conditions
- Atopic dermatitis
Common Causes of Dog Allergies
Allergies in dogs are unfortunately fairly common, and the reasons a dog’s body reacts to things like dust mites, mold, pollen, dander and more are very similar to the same reasons humans suffer allergic reaction when exposed as well.
Dogs can have allergies for several reasons, including:
- Environmental allergens: As we said, dogs can be allergic to pollen, dust mites, mold spores, and other environmental allergens, just like humans.
- Food allergies: Dogs can develop allergies to certain proteins or other ingredients in their food, such as beef, chicken, dairy, or grains. This often happens when gut health is not optimal.
- Flea allergy dermatitis: Some dogs are hypersensitive to flea saliva, which can cause severe itching and skin irritation.
- Contact allergies: Dogs can develop allergies to things that come into contact with their skin, such as certain types of fabrics, shampoos, or cleaning products.
- Genetic predisposition: Some dog breeds are more prone to allergies than others, indicating that genetics may play a role in the development of allergies.
It’s important to note that allergic reaction occurs differently in each dog and can range from mild, acute allergic reaction to severe allergic reactions. If you suspect your dog has allergies, it’s best to consult with a veterinarian and even consider allergy testing to determine the underlying cause and develop an appropriate treatment plan. It may even include allergy shots.
What happens when my dog has an allergic reaction?
Dogs have allergic reactions when their immune system overreacts to a substance that it perceives as a threat, even if it’s harmless and no threat at all.. The immune system’s job is to protect your dog’s body from foreign invaders like viruses and bacteria, but in the case of an allergy, the immune system mistakes a harmless substance, such as pollen or certain foods, as harmful and triggers an inappropriate immune response and releases excess histamine.
Here are some natural, holistic ways to help dogs allergies symptoms with ingredients at home:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 Fatty Acids can help reduce inflammation in the body, which can help ease itching and irritation. Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in fish oil, flaxseed oil, and chia seeds. Fatty acid supplements are also found in Perfect Poop
- Quercetin: This is a natural antihistamine that can help reduce the release of excess histamine in the body. Quercetin can be found in foods like apples, blueberries, and broccoli, or in supplements.
- Probiotics: These helpful and beneficial bacteria can help support a healthy immune system and reduce inflammation in the body. Probiotics can be found in yogurt, kefir, and other fermented foods or in supplement form.
- Vitamin E: This antioxidant can help reduce inflammation in the body and support healthy skin and coats. Vitamin E can be found in foods like almonds, sunflower seeds, and spinach, or in supplement form.
- Aloe Vera: This is a soothing plant can help reduce itching and inflammation when applied topically to your dog’s skin. Aloe vera gel can be found in most health food stores or can be extracted directly from the plant.
Helpful support supplements for dogs with allergies
As pet parents, you might feel overwhelmed when it comes to your dog experiencing allergies. The great news is, you can take control of your dog’s allergies by pinpointing the cause, removing the allergen from your dog’s environment and strengthening their immune system by adding supplements to their diet. A healthy immune system is essential when dealing with allergies. It helps reduce the reaction and lessens or eliminates symptoms. Bernie’s Perfect Poop is an all-natural supplement that contains dietary fibers like pumpkin, flaxseed and Miscanthus grass that all help boost the immune system and will have your dog feeling great! Perfect Poop also helps with the supplementation of Omega 3-Fatty Acids to help prevent allergy reactions in your dog. You can count on Bernie’s Perfect Poop to boost your dog’s immune system and help them cope with allergy symptoms!
Allergies are a sign your dog’s immune system is fighting against something it views as an enemy and is working overtime, which causes the irritating symptoms. Helping your dog maintain a healthy and strong immune system is essential to managing your dog’s symptoms at home, and Bernie’s Perfect Poop is the perfect supplement for the job!