Your fur baby is so sweet they have developed diabetes! As a pawrent, you are most likely wishing it was as simple as your pup being too sweet. Unfortunately, many dogs of all breeds, ages, and sizes develop diabetes for various reasons. Many pet parents turn towards high fiber foods to help stabilize their pup’s sugar levels.
What is diabetes in dogs?
Canine diabetes is a result of an inadequate biological response to a lack of insulin in the body. Dogs naturally produce insulin in their body but the problem arises when the glucose has not been used properly. When the glucose isn’t used properly within the cells and body, blood sugar levels rise and cause adverse side effects.
Symptoms of diabetes in dogs
- Increase in urination
- Excessive thirst
- Changes in appetite
- Breath that smells sweet
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Lack of energy
- Loss of eyesight
What causes diabetes in dogs?
Veterinarians and scientists aren’t completely certain why dogs get diabetes. However, there is an understanding that genetics and being overweight contribute to the risk of developing diabetes. Obesity is known to cause cells to become resistant to insulin which leads to diabetes which often disappears after your dog loses weight.
Fiber and canine diabetes
Research conducted by veterinarians revealed that fibers reduce a dog’s sensitivity to insulin. Fiber is known to prevent blood sugar levels from spiking which causes fewer fluctuations. A high fiber diet helps dogs with diabetes manage their illness successfully.
Here are three excellent ways to help your dog manage diabetes:
- High fiber diet – Provide your dog with a high fiber diet to help maintain balanced sugar levels. There are a variety of high fiber dog foods available that make giving your dog a healthy diet quick and easy which is great for working and busy pet parents. Fiber can help your dog’s weight/obesity problem which is found to be a contributing factor to diabetes.
- Regular exercise – Low impact exercise like a nice walk every day is essential for overall good health. A regular walk on a daily basis is essential for circulation. This could also help dog parents keep themselves healthy too. However, it’s important to avoid excessive exercises such as agility training and long hikes. Long or excessive sessions of exercise can affect blood glucose levels which can cause it to become extremely low.
- Veterinarian checkups – Monitoring your dog’s blood levels is essential to their overall well being. Schedule veterinarian checkups with a holistic veterinarian or an animal hospital to ensure your dog is on the right track when it comes to managing their sugar levels.
Helpful supplements to help your dog maintain balanced sugar levels
You can help your dog maintain their diabetes by including an all-natural high fiber supplement when you try Bernie’s Perfect Poop! This tasty supplement is packed with premium natural fibers such as flaxseed, pumpkin and Miscanthus grass. It’s a grain-free and gluten-free supplement that provides the fiber your dog is missing in their diet. It supercharges your dog’s digestive system and provides optimum health benefits including balanced sugar levels.
Helpful digestive support supplements for dogs with diarrhea
The great news is, you can stop your dog’s explosive diarrhea with a high fiber supplement such as Bernie’s Perfect Poop. It’s an all natural supplement for dogs that contains pumpkin, flax seed, and Miscanthus grass. These combined ingredients support a healthy digestive system that helps prevent diarrhea. It also includes healthy probiotics, enzymes and prebiotics that can help heal gut conditions. Bernie’s Perfect Poop supplement is created to help stop diarrhea and prevent it in the future.
Frequent diarrhea is a sign something is wrong with your dog’s digestive system. A healthy diet and an all natural fiber supplement will keep your dog’s system in good working order. Bernie’s Perfect Poop supplement gets the job done and helps get rid of diarrhea.